As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
What you’ll do:
- Oversee all of the site’s output, from daily news to maps to features and off-platform content
- Strive to make Eater Chicago a leading voice in the food and restaurant scene, defining who and what matters with creative and incisive journalism.
- Be accountable for breaking news and negotiating exclusives on behalf of Eater Chicago
- Create and assign a calendar of high-performing service-oriented maps content
- Ideate and oversee longer lead reported stories from staff and from freelancers; develop and maintain a freelancer pool that reflects the diversity of your city
- Oversee social media, Twitter and Facebook for posts; practice good SEO; maintain a high-quality daily newsletter
- Participate in cross-brand promotional efforts and collaboration with the national Eater.com team as communicated by other team managers
- Ensure all copy is line with Eater’s style guide and editorial standards.
- Track openings and keep in touch with chefs, restaurateurs, and relevant spokespeople for coverage as needed; assign this coverage and reporting out as needed
- Develop contacts with chefs, restaurateurs, and other restaurant staff to generate news leads and scoops and to stay connected to the community on an ongoing basis
- Be a face for the brand, with appearances on panels, radio, and other media as appropriate
What you'll bring:
- At least five years experience in journalism, particularly with breaking daily news, developing sources and covering a beat
- An ability to create proactive vs. reactive narratives about the restaurant industry
- Comfort with cold calling and the fast pace of digital news with daily deadlines
- A sense of urgency when reporting and writing news
- A desire to drive the conversations about the restaurant world in your city, and maintain Eater’s reputation as a leader in this space.
- Attention to detail, news judgement, and story packaging. Interest in digital headline writing, analytics, and social media publishing
- A love for restaurants and knowledge of the local scene and at the very least a voracious hunger to become an expert in the industry
Bonus points for:
- Experience covering business, real estate, or legal matters
*This role is a part of the Vox Media Union, represented by the Writers Guild of America, East.
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.