Vox Media, one of the fastest growing purveyors of top-notch podcasts, is looking for a talented supervising producer to join the team of our daily news podcast, Today, Explained. Today, Explained produces five episodes each week that offer an end-of-day perspective on the news. This is a high-pressure environment and we’re looking for an organized producer with people and project management experience who can hit the ground running.
What you'll do:
You’ll work closely with Today, Explained’s host to oversee production of daily episodes - including conceiving episodes, managing producers, booking guests, developing scripts, overseeing tape gathering and sound design and editing. We are a collaborative team where everyone pitches in, and from time to time you will do everything from wrangling freelancers to producing a regular episode of the show to fact checking, and other tasks as needed.
What you’ll bring:
- Deep experience editing a daily news podcast, audio narratives, or audio for a news broadcast (or with a news focus) and working with producers to refine scripts and story flow
- Ability to manage a team of producers, an audio engineer and freelance staff in a daily production environment
- Strong collaborative skills, as well as the ability to delegate and prioritize effectively
- Experience vetting show pitches and guiding the episode development process
- A portfolio that demonstrates an ear for great tape and inventive approaches to audio storytelling
- Ability to coach and develop host talent and producers
- Experience managing budgets, processing invoices and ensuring timely payment to freelancers, studios and tape syncers
- Proficiency in audio mixing in ProTools
- Expert news judgment
- Effective at multitasking; flexibility to adapt to shifting news on short notice
- A passion for explanatory journalism
- Creativity and a desire to push the boundaries, and be innovative
This is a full time position based in Washington, D.C.
PLEASE NOTE: Your application should include a resume and a short cover letter describing your interest in the position – including TWO EPISODE PITCHES (along with proposed guest(s)) that would make sense if you were producing the show this week. Include links to examples of your related work and descriptions of what your role was on the projects.
As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
*This role is a part of the Vox Media Union, represented by the Writers Guild of America, East.