As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
The Vox Media Communications team is looking for a driven and highly organized communications professional to join the company and oversee communications for several of Vox Media’s editorial networks. This position will report to Vox Media’s Vice President of Communications and will be based in the company’s New York City office.
This role will work across several of the Vox Media editorial networks and will work closely with editorial leads and teams. They will be responsible for developing and executing communications plans to support goals and priorities for several editorial networks simultaneously, including the promotion of editorial products and content; developing and promoting talent; and contributing to the management of an external PR agency on a day-to-day basis.
The ideal candidate has a deep knowledge of, and interest in, Vox Media and our editorial networks which include: Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street and Recode.
What you'll do:
- Work closely with editorial leadership to develop communications strategies to advance specific network goals and priority projects including announcements, talent and content promotion, product launches, speaking opportunities and events. Proactively identify opportunities and areas for progress.
- Build and maintain relationships with the media and regularly pitch news, content, and announcements
- Contribute to the preparation of select editorial talent for speaking opportunities and media interviews
- Contribute to development of creative internal communications strategies to promote editorial projects amongst Vox Media staff and identify opportunities for collaboration
- Communicate press opportunities and highlights internally
- Manage Vox Media’s corporate social accounts
What you'll bring:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field of study
- At least 5-7 years experience in public relations, communications or related field
- Experience developing robust communications strategies and plans
- Proven track record of pitching and securing coverage of editorial content and talent in print, online, audio and broadcast outlets
- Strong understanding of the subjects and content types that resonate best with different audiences and platforms.
- Strong understanding of how digital news circulates online and where and when Vox Media’s editorial content, talent and news is relevant
- Experience working closely with editorial leaders and executives
- Strong verbal and written communication skills required
- Extreme attention to details, including grammar and spelling, are a must
This is the job for you if you are:
- A collaborative spirit who embraces teamwork and displays an enterprising attitude. You are excited to produce thoughtful, creative, well-organized, and high-quality work
- Able to work at a fast pace while managing multiple tasks and maintaining a professional attitude. You embrace change and are flexible as priorities and strategies shift
- Confident and comfortable interacting with editorial leaders and executives to provide strategic counsel and feedback.
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.