As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform. Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
The Editorial team is at the core of everything New York magazine does. Editors aim to strike the perfect balance of content that’s sharp, provocative, useful, and sometimes funny while other times deadly serious; the magazine aims to give its readers know everything they need to know to navigate a fast-moving culture, as well as the unexpected and literary pleasures of excellent magazine journalism.
The Senior Editor will be responsible for driving editorial strategy to develop high-concept, ambitious journalistic projects, and will be responsible for coordinating the editorial, design, and distribution efforts behind them. They will partner across verticals and creative teams internally to identify opportunities to create or reimagine original content in new formats for a diverse audience. The ideal person will bring order, energy, and creative solutions to the most in-demand, socially and culturally relevant topics of our time.
- Drive editorial vision and strategy for creative and ambitious editorial projects that expand our voice and reach, both on- and off-platform, including editorial packages, features, live events, social/community/engagement, audio/video, etc.
- Conceptualize, incubate, and manage long-term projects, working collaboratively with editorial leadership and staff across the New York Magazine verticals.
- Collaborate with internal partners (marketing/events, revenue, communications, podcast, product, etc) to execute original, large scale projects and optimize content.
- Continue to develop the impressive roster of writers and editors currently working on New York Magazine by networking amongst and finding new voices that should be in our pages, both print and online.
- Work with editors and reporters across beats, manage content from contributors, and partner with external talent.
- Assign, edit, and plan a wide variety of editorial stories and projects.
- 5+ years of experience as an editor, producer, or editorial project manager, with an emphasis on leveraging new/emerging platforms along with print media.
- Commitment to smart and engaging storytelling, social listening, and creating meaningful editorial experiences for a diverse audience.
- Adept at working across different beats/topics, and assigning and editing journalists at many levels.
- A track record of consistent and productive collaboration with section editors, producers, and creative teams to create feature-length packages that include multimedia assets.
- Possess a bottomless list of fresh ideas for stories, multimedia experiences, and new ways to engage with our audience.
- Comfort working within the 24/7 news cycle and an ability to meet deadlines.
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.