At Lyft, our mission is to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization. From day one, Lyft’s mission has been to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation. And self-driving cars are critical to that mission: they can make our streets safer, cities greener, and traffic a thing of the past. That’s why we started Level 5, our self-driving division, where we’re building a self-driving system to operate on the Lyft network.
Level 5 is looking for doers and creative problem solvers to join us in developing the leading self-driving system for ride sharing. Our team members come from diverse backgrounds and areas of expertise, and each has the opportunity to have an outsized influence on the future of our technology. Our world-class software and hardware experts work in brand new garages and labs in Palo Alto, California, and offices in London, England and Munich, Germany. And we’re moving at an incredible pace: we’re currently servicing employee rides in our test vehicles on the Lyft app. Learn more at lyft.com/level5.
As an engineering manager (EM) and part of the AV Platform org, you will be responsible for managing and growing the runtime team. This team’s mission is to build the in-vehicle runtime system (communication infrastructure, resource management, and lifecycle management of applications) that underpins and executes the autonomy stack. Furthermore, the team provides support to run autonomy in playback or simulation modes, running both on development machines and in the cloud.
For this position, we are looking for an Engineering Manager with a strong technical background, hands-on software engineering experience, and leadership skill.
- Manage and grow the Runtime team. Lead execution of team deliverables, organize team sprint meetings, and work with the team to plan and achieve Objectives & Key Results (OKR’s)
- Support setting the mid- and long-term technical roadmap for the team in collaboration with the technical leads and Level 5 leadership
- Foster a healthy and collaborative team culture and be a role model by demonstrating Lyft’s core values
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of your team members
- Drive engineering excellence by participating in code reviews, technical designs, and evangelizing software engineering best practices. Guide the team to balance rapid progress against technical debt
- Triage incoming issues from fleet testing, prioritizing and assigning them to engineers as appropriate
- Collaborate closely with leads and engineering managers working on different components across the org
- Grow the team by working with recruiting to identify and hire excellent and diverse engineering talent
- Ability to operate effectively and autonomously across multiple teams, and navigate technical ambiguity with only high level direction
- Ability to work with complex production-quality software and maintain quality through testing and release process
- Experience in at least one of the following areas:
- Linux operating system or real-time operating systems
- Middleware/run-time systems (e.g. ROS, DDS, AUTOSAR)
- Automotive software development or similar domains
- Able to motivate and instill a strong sense of ownership in your team
- Openness to new or different ideas. Ability to evaluate multiple approaches and choose the best one based on fundamental qualities and supporting data
- Ability to communicate highly technical problems and solutions at all levels from engineers to top leadership
- 3+ years of people management experience, building teams and managing engineers
- (Nice to Have) Knowledge and/or experience in the AV / robotics field
- (Nice to Have) Demonstrated success leveraging Technical Program Managers (TPMs) and other resources to scale in highly-interconnected organizations
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance optionsIn addition to 11 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Lyft Pink - Lyft team members get an exclusive opportunity to test new benefits of our Ridership Program
Lyft is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Lyft does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Lyft also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and other similar state laws and local ordinances, and its internal policy, Lyft will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.